Moving flock into a larger coop and have questions.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Benelli, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    I'm in the process of building a bigger coop and run. I want to move my existing flock of 7 to the larger coop and use the smaller one for three, 12 week old pullets. I plan on keeping the coops about 400 feet apart. Is it best to move the existing flock at night into their new coop and keep them locked up a few days? I'm not worried about moving the pullets into the old coop. Just the older ones. If I let the existing flock free range after being in their new coop for a week, will they return to their new coop or will they try to get into their old one?

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's a toss-up.
    They might... they might not.

When I move my birds to a new coop, I just let that coop door stay open for the first couple days, so when they start wandering toward their old coop or pacing in front of the door, I can just herd them into the new one. Usually takes 2 nights before they get over it, more stubborn ones take 3 or 4 nights.

I used to try locking them in for a few days first, but I don't think it made a difference, as soon as they wen't out for the day they headed to their old coop at night. So a couple of days of going home to the new coop and they get the hang of it.

3. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    I'll have a long walk to scoot them back to the new coop if they do that. Let's hope not. Thanks for the response.

4. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

well.. 400 feet is kind of a long way I suppose...
    so maybe if you only let them out for a couple of hours at first just before dusk, they won't get the chance to travel that far. It's not like I think they'll get out of the new coop and head straight for the old one, I'm sure they won't. But if they don't have a chance to wander that far, eating the grass, scratching & perhaps eating scratch too perhaps it'll work perfectly. I'm sure after they put themselves to bed in the right place for a couple of nights, you won't have to worry after that and could then go back to all day or whatever your regular routine is.
    [​IMG] for ya
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by