1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Moving Flock of 5 ( 12 hour Drive ) Advice?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by inciter, Jul 6, 2010.

1. inciter

inciter Hatching

Mar 31, 2008
    Hi All!

We have five hens, and will be moving, our new home is 12 hours away, So far I have the following pulled from search here.

1: Small box just enough to stand and lay down and not tip over.
    2: Feed Watermelon for water source.
    3: We are going at night time so they should sleep? and stay cool.

Can we?

1: Put them all together in a wire cage and cover?

BTW they will be in the cabin side of our horse trailer.
    When we get to the new house, they will be setup in a secure horse stall till I setup the coop again.
    All hens are laying and are 7 months old is this really going to stress them out big time?

Anything else's anyone can think of that I mite be missing?

Thank you!!!!

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I think going at night will help big time. Also in the trailer will help because their will be good ventilation.

Probably you are going to lose some egg laying, don't be surprized if they lay right on schedule when you get there, and then stop for a couple of days.

I think I would put them all together, if they can move around a bit in the space. That way they can get close together if too cold, or spread apart if too warm.

With traveling at night, I don't think I would water them or provide watermelon in the pen. I would make sure they were well watered the day of the trip, and have water available imediately when unpacked. Mine never have water available to them at night, and when they first get up, they may wander over and get a sip, but are not dying for water.

If you break down, or have to stop for whatever reason, so that you are not getting there in the 12 hours, then you really will have to provide water.

Have a good trip! mk

3. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Mrs. K :

I think going at night will help big time. Also in the trailer will help because their will be good ventilation.

Probably you are going to lose some egg laying, don't be surprized if they lay right on schedule when you get there, and then stop for a couple of days.

I think I would put them all together, if they can move around a bit in the space. That way they can get close together if too cold, or spread apart if too warm.

With traveling at night, I don't think I would water them or provide watermelon in the pen. I would make sure they were well watered the day of the trip, and have water available imediately when unpacked. Mine never have water available to them at night, and when they first get up, they may wander over and get a sip, but are not dying for water.

If you break down, or have to stop for whatever reason, so that you are not getting there in the 12 hours, then you really will have to provide water.

Have a good trip! mk

X2 [​IMG]

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    on rereading your post, you mention the cabin part of the trailer. That might be a bit more air tight than I was thinking, as in the nose of a horse trailer, if so, you might need to check the interior temperature of that space while you travel, cause heat can build up inside a small confined space with live animals in it, chickens do produce a lot of heat.

I think I would have a window open or keep an eye on the temp, everytime you stop for gas. mk

5. cobrien

cobrien Songster

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    i think they'd be less stressed in the cage together, as long as it isn't so big that they get tossed around. if it is you could fill the extra space with a cardboard box and leave them just enough room to stand, turn around, etc. Put some absorbant bedding like pine shavings to absorb the poop. I agree with the other posts as far as not giving food or water since you're going at night. if it is dark they won't eat or drink anyway. if it takes you longer you can offer food and water but make sure they have light or they won't eat/drink. good luck with your move

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by