Moving Flock to New Coops and New Roos

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DMRippy, Dec 2, 2011.

1. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I have been building new breeding pens and will be moving everyone in the next week hopefully [​IMG] I have read posts about moving new birds in at night, but this whole thing will be new. Should I move the roos first and then add their new pullets or add them all at once, should I do this at night or what? I don't want any more fighting than I have to have so any advice will help. Moving 50-60 birds total. The pens have poultry netting type dividers so they will be able to see each other... so some fighting between pens my even happen.

Any help or advice will be appreciated thanks.

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Are they going to be kept together like they are now, or are you also switching roomates?

I would suggest moving at night as it will be easier when they are calm. You might even consider moving 1 pen at a time, adding everone going in that pen at once. I do not have experience with so many birds, and breeding, but I have found that when moving to a new coop it's easiest to just move the whole group at once.

I don't know your setup, but I want to put a thought out there- I have had roosters seperated just by poultry wire, and after a year of being next to each other, the 2 roosters decided to go at it through the fence. If I had come home just a little later than I did, I most likely would have lost one. His comb was torn up bad and his eyes, beak and nares were covered in coagulating blood. He had inhaled a bit of it also. I have heard of others having the same experience. Poultry wire isn't enough to keep them from hurting each other.

Hopefully someone with experience mixing and moving groups will offer some better advice.

3. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Well that is not the best news about the chicken wire [​IMG] I have been using it for months and have seen the roos go at it some but they seem to loose interest when they see girls. But these will be smaller pens than they are in now. Maybe if they can't see each other much. I can fix that.

I did read after posting this that when everyone is in a new environment it works better. I will have new roos with new pullets so it will be a total change for most. I probably will move them at dusk or just before.

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by