Moving from brooder to coop during the summer months

ellendmngz

Hatching
May 8, 2016
Our chicks are a week old today and the temps outside have been on the 100's the past few days. We normally have days in the 90's and the night are fairly cool. The nights can get in the low 70's to high 60's on regular days. We are hoping to have them in their coop within the next few weeks. From what I have read, it is good to leave them in the coop for several weeks when making the transition to the coop. My only concern is will the coop become too hot for them, especially if it 100 degrees outside. Their coop is on the coolest side of the house where the will get the morning sun. Half of it is shaded, while the other half is not. As the day goes on, that whole side is completely in the shade. What do you guys suggest to help keep them cool inside the coop? I am hoping the weeks we are training them to be in the coop the temps are not in the 100's.

My suggestion would be to put a thermometer in there now to see how hot it gets. That may be dramatically different than ambient temperature. Preferably a remote read so you can check it when you're in the house.
100 is probably too high for baby chicks cause they can't regulate their body temperature yet.

It has been in the 80s and 90s during the day and 70s and 80s at night. My ten 2 to 4 week old chicks have been out in the coop for about 6 days with no heat.

I will add a thermometer out there to help keep track of the temp. If it looks like it is going to be too hot, I will just keep them inside a little longer.

Back
Top Bottom