Moving from brooder to coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HobbyFarmHopeful, Jul 28, 2010.

1. HobbyFarmHopeful

HobbyFarmHopeful New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    I'm wondering when I can move my chicks from the brooder to the coop? The chicks are 3 weeks old and are huge. I have them in a big tub with a wire mesh lid and they are flying out each time I feed and water them and they seem so big in the tub now. They are all doing very well but my hubby keeps telling me I can't move them to the coop for another 2 weeks at least and I don't see how I can keep them in the tub. We are brand new at this, so advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    The general rule is, wait until they are fully feathered. Now, I don't know what your weather/climate is like, but here in Ohio, it's in the 80s and humid, and I think chicks that age would be just fine. The main thing is, you don't want them to get chilled.

3. HobbyFarmHopeful

HobbyFarmHopeful New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    Thanks Sharon! They seem to be well feathered. And it is HOT here...I'm in Kentucky and even at night it's in the 70-80 degree range. I'm nervous, they've just done so well up to this point (I was sure I'd do something wrong to kill them all) and I just don't want to mess it up. [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

With night-time temps like that, they'll be fine.

Keep them in the coop for about a week, so when you DO let them out into the run, they already know the coop is "home" and where they sleep at night. It will help reduce the amount of time it takes for them to learn to go back into it all by themselves at dusk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by