Moving from farm into incubator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rmonge00, Feb 25, 2013.

1. rmonge00

rmonge00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello Everyone,

I have never hatched eggs before, but am doing it in class (I am a Biology teacher) this month.. My eggs are being sent to my house and then I will bring them to school the following day to start the incubation. My question is, do I need to put them anywhere special while they wait overnight or do I need to bring them into the incubator as soon as they arrive?

I am also taking some of my own eggs in to be incubated (I have some laying hens and a rooster). Do I need to grab them as soon as they have been laid or can I leave them in the nesting boxes overnight?

One more thing, I am using a generic incubator without eggholders or an egg turner. I was thinking about just putting in cardboard egg boxes and turning manually. Am I right in thinking that the eggs should be positioned on their sides with the large part of the egg slightly elevated? Also, how often do I need to turn them? Can I get away with 3 times per day, and then once per day (or even not at all) during the weekends? They will be in my classroom and not my house, so it will be a pain to go in on the weekends, but I can do it if need be...

I know there is already information on this, but I couldn't find anything specific enough and I don't want to have an unsuccessful hatch.

Thanks for the help!!

Ryan Monger

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  3. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  4. rmonge00

Thanks Sally Sunshine! That was a heck of an article... Anyone else have any quick tips?

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Biology Teacher wanting quick tips? LOL Thats funny. Thanks, I have used every single bit of information in that article. So many people come asking for help with chicks stuck in the shell chicks unhatched, chicks that pip and dont hatch, chicks that all die in the shell, and when they finally realize its not set it and forget it they do their "homework", there are processes that are involved and you have to understand them to have a good hatch. I am sure you will have an excellent one!

6. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    once they hatch what are you going ot do with them?

7. rmonge00

Keep the egg layers and slaughter the roosters...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by