Moving hen and chicks to new coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tomfromsc, Apr 6, 2018.

1. tomfromsc

tomfromsc Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    South Carolina
    I have a broody hen she is on 7 eggs not all are hers but anyway my plan is to move her and the chicks to a new coop / tractor i built I call the nusery . It's a small coop 4 ft by 4 ft with a similar size run I can keep the door closed and it will be warm enough I'm in South Carolina when the chicks are old enough I'm going to let them out into the run I do not have a nest box in the coop will I need one and can I let the hen have access to the run before the chicks ....does my plan sound like it will work ?

2. LoveDatChickenLife

LoveDatChickenLife Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    Yes it sounds good! A nursery sound good to keep babies safe and when they are old enough could free range with mum!

3. tomfromsc

tomfromsc Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    South Carolina
    Should I put a nest box in the corner to give them something to huddle up in with Mom and keep out any draft

4. LoveDatChickenLife

LoveDatChickenLife Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    Yes. That sounds like a good idea, just make sure to put enough bedding and make it fluffy!! ;-)

5. Enchanted1s

Enchanted1s Songster

Sep 25, 2017
    New Mexico
    How long has she been sitting on her eggs?

6. tomfromsc

tomfromsc Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    South Carolina
    Since the 27th due around the 18th

7. Enchanted1s

Enchanted1s Songster

Sep 25, 2017
    New Mexico
    We just went through this with our little broody hen. I read that sometimes, if you move them they will abandon the nest. I felt we had no choice but to move her. I waited until she was fully committed - had been sleeping in the cold nest box for about a week-. Then, I moved her - nest box and all. I had to remove ours from the wall. On day 21 & 22 she hatched 4 healthy babies. 2 didn't hatch.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Are they in the coop with the rest of the flock now? Wait until the chicks hatch, then move them if you feel the need to. In SC, it will be warm enough to have the door open to the run. Mama will keep the chicks warm enough. She will also want to take them outside to teach them how to be chickens. My broody last year had her babies out in the run with the rest of the flock when they were 24 hours old. She protected them and kept them warm and they were well adjusted.

LoveDatChickenLife likes this.
  9. tomfromsc

tomfromsc Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    South Carolina
    Thanks that's good to hear she is in the main coop now and I have been wondering what to do with the door I put a storage box in the corner of the coop and will move her nesting/bedding into it when I move her over. the nursery coop is visible from the main coop that should help getting her acclimated my first time doing this so I'm extra cautious

10. Enchanted1s

Enchanted1s Songster

Sep 25, 2017
    New Mexico
    It has been interesting! Our little broody is an incredible mother. She turns into a demon chicken if she thinks I am going to touch those babies! She has had them out learning to forage since they were a few days old. She literally jumped up and knocked the plate of scrambled eggs out of our hands the other day. She wanted that for the babies RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW! She was not that way before the babies.

Unfortunately for us, broody Tootie is so small she can squeeze thru the 4 inch goat fence without much effort so she has a lot more say in where she can forage than we would like. Our older babies are too big (5 months)! Good luck with your clutch!!
    1st.Hatch.Tootie.13Mar18.jpg

LoveDatChickenLife likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: