Moving Hen and Chicks?

fullyfleeced

Chirping
Jul 21, 2018
Sedro Woolley, WA
Hi there-
I'm new on the forum. I have a speckled sussex girl who has been sitting on eggs in our coop for a while now. I've been checking on her twice a day to see if anyone has hatched out. Well, finally tonight I saw the first of her brood- pretty sure that there is only one hatched out at this point, though there are more eggs under her (not sure how many). I'm interested in moving them all to a safe location, but don't want to disrupt the hatching out or cause mama to stress out and bail on the venture. Any advice on how long to wait? should all the eggs hatch out within a couple days? Should I put chick food and water nearby in the meantime?
Thanks in advance for your input-
Denise

Unless your hen's feral or insane, she'll be fine with being moved, so long as the chicks are moved with her. The eggs are peeping at her, and she'll stay on them. Broody hens take lockdown seriously.

There are many ways to approach this, but most people will probably discourage you from moving anyone until the mama hen has decided no more of her eggs will hatch. This should take a couple of days. Many people also suggest you should not put any food in the nesting box (I assume that's where she is). I think they suggest this because it can attract predators (i.e., rats) toward your chicks. I keep two cats (mousers) in my chicken yard, so I do not worry about rats. So I do put some chick feed and water in my nesting boxes when my hens are hatching over a number of days. If you do not want to leave feed there but are worried about the nutrition of your chicks (don't forget that they can easily last a day or two with only the nutrition from the egg yolk they recently absorbed), perhaps you can offer them some feed and water for an hour or so a day, then remove it?

Good luck with your new chicks! Enjoy!

Many people also suggest you should not put any food in the nesting box (I assume that's where she is). I think they suggest this because it can attract predators (i.e., rats) toward your chicks. I keep two cats (mousers) in my chicken yard, so I do not worry about rats. So I do put some chick feed and water in my nesting boxes when my hens are hatching over a number of days.
I did that once, and only once. Another hen leapt into the nest to get the feed, and smashed two eggs. I wouldn't do it unless the hen is isolated from the flock, even if there is no risk of rats (or ants, which seem to be a problem in some areas.)

ok, she's in a shelf of a repurposed bookcase (on it's side), up off the ground. I've placed a chick waterer in the cubbie with her, but no food (as it might attract undesirable elements). I'll check again in the morning. I've got "the nursery" all set up and ready for her, but would hate to unsettle her just as it's getting dark here. Will plan to move them sometime tomorrow. Thanks for the input. Will keep you posted.

I have a brooder for mom and the chicks. I put my broody's in it and all is well. I put chick feed and a waterer in there for them all. I have never had a problem.
IMG_3720.JPG
IMG_3761.JPG
IMG_3763.JPG
IMG_3765.JPG
IMG_3843.JPG

Still just the one chick this morning, but other eggs are peeping (forgot to count eggs, but probably about 10 total?). Moved momma/chick/eggs to nursery and placed chick food and water close. She was pretty put out while the move was in progress, but I think everyone made it ok, and she's settled back down on the eggs and chick.

Chickie update: One chick had been trying to get hatched all day sunday- by the evening I was getting concerned that she wasn't going to make it, so I helped out. I was initially a little concerned that mama wouldn't take her back, but it seems that all is well. Now I have two very fluffy and perky chickies bopping around. She's still got maybe 9 or 10 eggs underneath her. Haven't seen any other activity yet, so @sylviethecochin perhaps this is a staggered hatch (?) I don't have any experience with that, but other hens definitely could have had access to the nest before I moved her into her current secure location.

Back
Top Bottom