Moving Hens Cross-country

mptclinics

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 10, 2013
Hi all. I'n new to the forum, but not new to layers. I do have a new situation though, I would love your thoughts on.

We are preparing for a cross-country move. As the plan stands now, all hens will be traveling loose in the "neck" area of a well-ventilated gooseneck stock trailer, comfortably situated on pine shavings and straw. It will be a roughly 18 hour trip, done all in one day (hopefully) to minimize the length of the animals' stress. Most of these hens were hatched early this past summer, and are just starting to lay, so they are young. I understand that they will likely stop laying for a while after the move, and I understand it is individual as to how long. I am curious though if anyone has done this type of move and how your birds were affected by it? I have also heard rumor that the move could throw them into an early molt. That would stink, seeing as how they will have just barely started laying!! Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
mptclinics

We may, but we are trying to set up the neck in such a way that they won't be able to get on top of each other. We will be doing some practice loads with all the animals, just to make sure our plans work (we are moving our whole farm). We may alter plans as we learn. I am just trying to figure out if I can expect many eggs within a reasonable time of our arrival.

Back
Top Bottom