Moving hens long distances?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Crafty-Chicken-Lady, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Crafty-Chicken-Lady

Crafty-Chicken-Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    McMinnville, Oregon
    I am looking at a move in the near future and don't want to leave my grown girls behind. What are the options for moving grown layers long distances? Is it worth the effort? How do I find out about laws on transporting across multiple state lines? Hide them? Any experience or ideas would be helpful. The distance is about 1800 miles. [​IMG]

2. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I didnt go 1800 miles but i have taken chicks and grown hens & roos from colorado at my place to my sister's in arkansas, about 700 miles. I have taken them in dog kennels in the car and I have used my pickup to take cages made from 1X2 wire. the cages are about 2'x3'x3' to 4' long. Took some 4 weeks ago in the truck & brought back a couple of peas on a large dog kennel. I covered them with a quilt early when i started out and lifted it off the sides for ventilation. kept it on the top for protection from the sun. Some food is in there, and I stop several times when it is hot to water. The chickens generally don't get bothered from travel, but peas always seem stressed when I buy and travel them home. They seem to go off their feed for a day or two. I also have some parrots for over 20 years, and they can be sensitive to changes of location, although I notice my parrots arent bothered when I moved - it is the new bird with a new owner & new location that goes off feed for a few days.
    Kudos to you for wanting to take your birds with you! Times are hard and I see alot of people unable to feed and care for their animals due to moves and circumstances. Horses in particular, are being sold off today as feed is costing more & economy is affecting owners.

I never even check with transport laws with birds. I have gotten coggin test for transporting horses to and from arkansas and only needed it if oklahoma wanted to stop and check. Brand inspector in colorado didnt care about them coming back after being out of state for about 3 years. That a few years ago tho. You might check with the livestock dept's of each state you are going to travel thru.
    hope this helps & I think it is very worth the effort.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I agree, you should be fine if you crate them. If they get fussy, you can just throw a towel over the top to block out the light (make sure to leave it open in the back for ventilation).

If you are very concerned, you can check with the livestock dept, but since you arn't a commercial entity, I don't think you'll have any trouble. They are considered pets, which people drive accross state lines on a daily basis. It's not like the states will miss out on taxing you for bringing in animals for sale, so they don't care terribly much.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I haul pullets, young roos, chickens of all sizes back and forth from N. Michigan to southern KY with regularity. Have built crates for that purpose. They sleep most of the time. No stress that is detectable.

As far as the "laws" go, I'd have no idea. Don't ask, don't tell?

Hydration is your concern, not feed, over the long period. I make the drive I do in less than 24 hours from being crated, to being released. No issues whatsoever. I'd be somewhat concerned about going 36 or 48 hours without a good hydration at the half way mark. How long do you figure the actual crate time will be?

5. Crafty-Chicken-Lady

Crafty-Chicken-Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Total crate time will be 48 - 72 hours. Stopping to feed/ water will not be a problem as we will have other animals with also. We are looking at spring or fall for the move so Heat should not be an issue. I was just concerned that the move could harm them. Thanks for all the input.

6. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I drove some chicks from Tennasee to Texas...they were fine. Just put the hens in a crate with plenty of food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by