Moving Hens to New Farm

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Henny_Penny, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Henny_Penny

Henny_Penny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    We recently purchased 9 hens that were laying very good...usually one egg per hen per day. These are our first hens and we are learning a lot. However, since the move there are only a couple of hens laying. We are feeding the same ration as the previous owners. They have their same rooster with them.

Their new pen has eight hen boxes and they have been visiting the boxes but only lay in one. We have several feeders and plenty of water and they are eating and drinking well.

The main differences between their old environment and the new one is that they are now located in a 10 X 20 horse stall that is in a large horse stable (all of the horses are enjoying the beautiful Louisiana weather). There is quite a bit of traffic (golf cart and grandkids playing) along the aisle in front of the stall but that is not all of the time. The children will watch them very quietly from a stool outside the stall. I really don't think that it could be too much worse than the pen they were in as the pen was not far from the road and very close to the owner's home.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks much.

By the way, our main business, of course, is horses.... here is the link to our farm.... www.oldriverfarms.com . Sure would love to share some horses! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    How long ago did you get them? Some just have a hard time dealing with change and will take a little while to get back in to the groove.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Home Sick

Well, hens are funny like that. When they have change, to many treats, weather, someone looked at them crosseyed, they can avoid laying an egg. Yes, they do have some control and do not be surprised if they only lay in 1 or 2 boxes. I have 5 hens 2 boxes and they use only 1.
    Some days I get 2 eggs or 5, I have not figured out why this occurs, but your not alone. If I should hang around the back yard for example, reading a book, I'll get a good number of eggs because they feel safe.
    Good luck, where as you just moved them, let them get acclimated to the busy area and they will be fine. Like women, their bodies can stop or start in situations of stress and they have lost "momma or papa", now living in strange home, with strange monsters!!!!!
    (Also, give them treats, lettuce, a slice of bread crumbed, grapes cut in 1/2, take out a few cherrios. Sit in with them and talk while they see you are ok. Chickens love it when you talk to them, like your horses do.)
    Sounds like they are off to a good start, eating and drinking. Hang in there and you will soon see eggs in your nests. Also, if you place a golf ball or ceramic/wood fake egg in the boxes, they may use another nest.
    Kel

4. Henny_Penny

Henny_Penny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    We moved them last weekend. I guess I am expecting too much too soon. They do seem happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by