1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

moving hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dmartz, Sep 17, 2009.

1. dmartz

dmartz New Egg

Sep 17, 2009
    This is my first post so I hope I do it correctly! we need to move our hens about 100 yards from where they currently are. although we have a somewhat portable coop, we can't really put all of the hens in and move it. the distance is too great and i fear it wouldn't be safe for the girls.

i've heard that you can successfully move chickens at night. is this true and if so, how does it help?

any suggestions would be very welcome.

2. 4HillsSumatras

4HillsSumatras Chillin' With My Peeps

If your run is completly enclosed you can move tham anytime. How many do you have? But moving them at night is soooo much easier. When they are asleep it is easier to catch them.[​IMG]
    I think you will be fine moving them at what ever time you choose.

3. dmartz

dmartz New Egg

Sep 17, 2009
    thank you! if at night makes it easier, that's probably the thing to do. the run is enclosed it's just the issue of moving them so far.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you can't move the coop with the hens in it, just put them in pet carriers or sturdy cardboard boxes (being careful to bunge the flaps up real well so the hens can't escape!), move the coop, then put the hens back in.

They're easier to catch and much calmer at night; OTOH you may not relish the idea of moving the coop at night, so you may end up wanting to do it in daytime after all, just catch the hens and stuff 'em in boxes, they'll cope [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. dmartz

dmartz New Egg

Sep 17, 2009
    i think at night is the solution. and boxes make it easier yet! thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by