Moving House ????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ruf052, Feb 1, 2009.

1. ruf052

ruf052 New Egg

Feb 1, 2009
    Hi Folks. As I am new to this site (and chooks) I hope Im not asking a silly question. One of my chooks has decided living under my mullberry tree is great. Only thing is she is sitting on 4 eggs. Would it be ok to move this lady and her eggs back into the chook house so she is away from predators?? Looking forward to your answers. Cheers Darryl.......

2. wyle711

wyle711 New Egg

Dec 11, 2008
    if you could fence her off and keep her dry then she should be fine, just have her some food and water close by.

3. ruf052

ruf052 New Egg

Feb 1, 2009
    Thanks wyle, Not sure if I can fence the area off so she will be safe. Will she sit back on them if I move them to the chook house with the other chooks?? Darryl.......

4. geckomama

geckomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    We have only had a few broodies........

When we needed to move them to a safe place they weren't happy, but as long as the eggs went with them they tolerated the move.

We figured that the move was worth the loss of a few eggs and not the chook..... [​IMG]

5. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    Hi,
    I posted this reply to a similar question once before:
    "I just got back into chickens a year and a half ago. (Had no place to keep them for a long time.) But I was raised on a farm and it seemed we always had broodies. We usually just let them alone but if we did have to move one, we would put her in a box with her eggs and close it up so she can't get off them. Leave her there overnight. Next day, let her come off if she wants, to get food and water. She should go back on the nest when she's done. If not, put her back on and close it up again. Leave her overnight again. Hopefully she will get the hint. As long as it's dark and quiet, she should return to being broody. Hope it works:)"
    If it doesn't, I agree with geckomama saying "the move was worth the loss of a few eggs and not the chook"
    Good Luck!

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I wonder if you did it in stages, like put her nest in a dog crate, same spot so she is not confused, and once she gets used to the crate, put a blanket over it. Once she is used to that, just pick up the crate and move the mama, eggs and all... might work, but every night is a gamble of losing the chook.

7. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    Interested in the outcome....did you mover her?

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I agree with bantiesrule. just do it.
    the more you mess with her the more she will be confused..

always take into account the size of a chicken's brain..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by