Moving incubating eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Frenchrunners, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Frenchrunners

Frenchrunners New Egg

Sep 15, 2016
    Hello! I have 5 Indian runner eggs in an incubator. I'm on day 26 and one of the eggs now has a small hole in it. Because of very bad planning on my part, I'm away for a few days just as the eggs are about to hatch. My plan: surround the eggs with towel (or cover them?) to stop them moving around and then pop the incubator very gently and carefully in a preheated car and drive 12 minutes to a friend's house for them to see them through the hatching process. Is this a terrible idea? Also, I've dropped the temperature to 37.2 but can't check the humidity so have made sure the bottom of the incubator is filled up with water and keep misting them twice a day or 3 times. Does that seem sensible? Hope someone can advise. Many thanks!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I have done this once, believe it or not, with duck eggs too! Remove the water from the tray before moving the incubator in the car. I didn't and was holding the incubator on my lap (I wasn't driving) and I ended up.. Well yeah [​IMG] The eggs survived the journey much better than I did. They were on around day 15 if I remember correctly and we moved them about 20 miles or so. If you can keep the eggs secure in the incubator and minimise bumps and jarring, they'll be fine. Once at your destination, refill the water troughs and keep us posted on your hatch!

3. Frenchrunners

Frenchrunners New Egg

Sep 15, 2016
    Fabulous (and hilarious!). Thank you for the warning as that totally would have been me too! Okay. We'll go for it! Thanks so much!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You're welcome [​IMG] Yeah, that was quite funny… thankfully I dried up quickly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by