Moving indoor chickens outside?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by b0bb0, Nov 9, 2011.

1. b0bb0

b0bb0 New Egg

Jul 31, 2010
    Hello, we recently got our first chickens (three sussex pullets - not quite laying yet), and we are going to get 2 silkies as well. I just spoke with someone who would like to sell me 2 silkie hens, and they're about a year old. They were kept inside all last winter, and were kept outside over the summer. For the past month or so, they've been back inside with their chicks. If I purchase them, would it be OK to move them outside to the coop? It's starting to get cold here in Michigan (down into the 30s at night), and my coop isn't heated. I just don't know if they would have a problem with the cold since they've never been outside in it (do their bodies adapt to the warmer temperatures so that they wouldn't be prepared for the cold?). Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] to the BYC

I dont think in the 30 is low what temp room were they in? If you say 80 we need to knock the heat off and get them out in the coop for the days at least and then start the night out within the week too.

I think the problem is to integrate them with your other birds during the days and you monitoring is a must? It may take a week or more to do this and you may have a chance to succeed.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by