Moving issues or picky hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by New2chickz, Feb 22, 2018.

1. New2chickz

New2chickz In the Brooder

Aug 14, 2017
    Hey guys!

So recently I got rid of my coop. Recently expanded my flock and my coop was old and too small for all of them

Also moved! Well moved them we are in the process of moving ourselves.

They are free range..well yard..And now have a shed for a coop. The first day i let them out I went on a easter egg hunt. Found like 3 eggs so I set up their shed brought an extra nest box from their old coop and shut them in. I have played chicken hostage for a couple days now. I have 18 girls 14 are laying but last couple days I've had 3 eggs a day. And of course no one is using the spare box apparently the favorite box left with the coop.

What did I miss?? What do I do?? I havent let them roam because its a huge yard and it needs to be cleaned up so fighting through the brush for an egg or a chicken isnt gonna work. And i got the idea of shutting them in from a previous post on here help!

4 ever Orpington likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are stressed by the changes which chickens hate. It will cause a halt to production until they feel safe again.

Put some fake eggs in your nestboxes to show them it's a safe place to lay.

ponie and sourland like this.
  3. New2chickz

Aug 14, 2017

Ok! Perfect time with easter.
    Should I keep them in there longer? Their shed is a work in progress at the moment but they stopped so much I had to buy eggs to make dinner tonight because the dozen I finally got in like 4 days is already sold

4. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington Premium Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    :thumbsup :welcome :thumbsup

5. New2chickz

Aug 14, 2017
    Thanks

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It depends if you still want to go on an egg hunt. It will take 1-4 weeks generally for hens to resume laying after being stressed. Adding the fake eggs may help direct them to the right spots. I can't tell you how to proceed. I personally would let them out, but I don't need eggs either. Otherwise you will have to wait until they start laying in your boxes generally.

4 ever Orpington and sourland like this.
  7. New2chickz

Aug 14, 2017
    Thank you! Grounded seems to be the answer then I need them to lay where I can find them now my old coop came the way it was built can the box placement affect them feeling safe? The spare is on the ground I read the roost should be higher? Am I missing anything to make them feel safe?

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It's always best to hang nestboxes 2-3 feet off the ground to limit the risk of egg eating. Sometimes if they can see the eggs they may peck them out of curiosity. A hen needing to lay generally will have a different train of thought, but keeping ceramic eggs in the boxes will keep any curious pecking from being successful.

I think you just need to wait them out, and hope they adjust quickly. Mimicking their last set up can help as far as placement and heights of stuff. Hopefully they get back to work soon.

ponie likes this.
  9. New2chickz

Aug 14, 2017

Who knew they could be so picky! I will try to copy the height of the last set up. I think they like the new roost bar. The coop house was getting so full some were laying on the floor lol or its possible that my bratty red stars didn't let anyone else up there. But the boxes were not much lower than the roost and the roost was maybe 2ft tall so i didnt think that would impact them so much! I also had 2 boxes and it seems everyone waited for the 1 box. So I put milk cartons in there the second box and they are being ignored.

I still have to clean out the other half of the shed/coop maybe a super big coop will be better

10. Susan Dye

Susan Dye Chirping

Jul 25, 2017
    Is it possible to fence off an area to give them limited access to the yard to explore? Maybe some pecking and scratching will get them in the mood for laying and you won't have far to search for eggs:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by