Moving mama and her new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nhowru, Feb 6, 2017.

1. nhowru

nhowru New Egg

Feb 27, 2016
    POTEET TEXAS
    [​IMG]

Hello newbie here
    My free range hen laid eggs,hid them,found them,let her be, they hatched yesterday! I count @least 8+...
    HOW DO I MOVE HER TO THE COOP?

2. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    Hey there!
    You should wait until night after she is sleeping. You will want to make a nest for her in an area away from the other birds, secluded ON THE FLOOR. Yes. the floor. The chicks will fall out and not be able to get back up anywhere. The main thing is to have her in a place that's pretty breeze free. If you have a space under the nesting box on the floor in a corner, they ususally like that

Get a box and put all the chicks in. If you have another set of hands to grab the mama at the same time that is always good. Just move her over and put the chicks underneath. If you do this in the day she will freak out and try to leave. Also, she might even get pecky--even to her babies!

You are in for such a treat! it's so much fun watching her raise her babies. The babies jump on the mamas back, she talks to them, takes them out and cracks up food for them to eat. Get your camera ready to capture the ultimate in cuteness!

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You may wish to keep them in a dog crate within the coop (with food and water) for the first couple of days. There's a reason that she hatched outside the coop, and she may simply return to the original nest if you don't secure them in the coop.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by