Moving meat birds outside

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by squatfisher, Aug 30, 2013.

1. squatfisher

squatfisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    I am keeping 50 meat birds in my basement. The outside temp varies from 75 in the day to 50 at night. When should I move them outside? I am hoping it can be done at 2 weeks. I am gradually moving the heat lamp higher. They are 1 week old.

2. I would move em out at 2 weeks myself. They will need a wind break free of night drafts in whatever you put them in. 50 meat birds = smelly. I have put em out at two weeks and had success. I am in a warm climate now and cold nights are not an issue in summer and fall, so take that into consideration. Some brood their meat birds outside even in winter. Giving them protection & warmth is still a must.

You'll figure it out. Best of wishes to ya.

3. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    50 is cold! They will need to be feathered out to withstand that. And remember as they get older it will be colder outside. I use an extension cord and give them a heat lamp in the tractor. They only spend 1 week in the garage.

4. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    I moved mine out with similar temps at three weeks. The trick was keeping them warm at night and a very thick cardboard box, just big enough for them all the crawl into together was the solution. They pile up close and wit a roof that tight and tough wind breaking walls they all just add to the heat and the place warms up like nobody's business. I reached in on the first night to put a straggler away and the air above the chickens was as warm as they were.

5. DaveMorey

DaveMorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Westminster, Vermont
    I have been thinking of putting mine out too. They are almost three weeks now. But with night temps projected in the 30's this week they will be staying in the garage. I have noticed though that they don't seem to be as sensitive to cooler temps than my DP birds did. It was in the low 70's today and they ran around the yard until I gathered them up for the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by