Moving mother Hen and 7 week old chicks

sab

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Ripley, WV
Momma hen self hatched 10 and I added 6 to her little family 7.5 weeks ago. The purchased chicks are more toward a week older. Still peeping but good size. Mother has her chicks in with the general population but she continues to take them into the chicken tractor at night where they are separate from the other hens. I really want her to move into the main coop. Main coop has an auto pop door and I don’t have to go out every morning early to release them. How can I get momma to move her family inside??!! This ties me down. I really want to make a road trip but someone has to let these 17 ( getting crowded) birds out of the tractor every morning. I have neighbors that will come gather eggs and check on birds when I travel. But it’s a stretch to ask them to come twice a day and so early. Any ideas???

I'd close off the tractor and herd the hen and chicks into the coop in the evening. A few days of this and the hen will take the chicks there for the night. Chickens are creatures of habit and will go to the same place each night.

The momma is still in a protective mode — she will still expand herself 3x her size and chase other hens away from her determined territory. I worry that if I force her before she’s ready to wean them that she will be territorial with the main coop. I have shut the tractor and watched the result. I always give in and open it because I worry she will “take” the main coop and run the other hens out. The thing is this brood still go to bed early. Really early. I know I’m only a couple weeks away from her weaning them on her own. She’s an awesome mom. I worry she won’t let go. Anyone experience that happening or unheard of?? Love love love raising chicks this way. So easy!!

Back
Top Bottom