Moving muscovys

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ahopewalker, Mar 28, 2018.

1. ahopewalker

ahopewalker Hatching

Mar 28, 2018
    I’m in the process of closing on a new house. My Muscovy is under our current house and sitting. Can we move her and her eggs? She’s been sitting continuously for about 3 weeks, so its getting close to time.

Duck Lover88, Kessel23 and blayt90 like this.
  2. blayt90

blayt90 Crowing

Jan 11, 2018
    Magee, Mississippi
    My Coop
    Duck Lover88 and Kessel23 like this.
  3. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    I have had a muscovy hen who would set on any eggs that I moved her to, that was nice because I could move her around the coop or to another building if I needed to. The hen I have now will do anything to return to the original nest site if she is moved. Once she gets back to the original site she sets the ground... just sits there on the ground and incubates nothing. It is impossible for me to move this hen :( Also, my first muscovy ducks I got were both adult hens, I brought them home and one of them escaped and flew off, the original owner called me a half an hour later and asked me why his duck was back at his coop... He only lived 5 miles down the road but still, that hen trucked it all the way back there! I'm not sure what would happen if you moved your hen... I would say make sure she can not fly back to the original house, also be prepared to incubate and brood the eggs if she rejects them.

4. Raenh

Raenh Crowing

Jul 29, 2017
    Tomball, Texas
  5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Kessel is right, it all depends on the hen. Some will accept being moved, some won't.
    You could try moving her into a large dog crate and leaving her in it at the new location until they hatch. Take as much of her original nest material as possible.
    Good luck!

6. Duck Lover88

Duck Lover88 Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Piedmont N.C
    Yep what everyone else said… and if she does stop sitting then make sure to have a incubate ready to go :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: