Moving my 1 and a half month old chicks into a coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bbobbillybob, Jul 28, 2010.

1. bbobbillybob

bbobbillybob New Egg

Jun 10, 2010
    i have 4 chicks that are 1 and a half month old and i moved them into a coop that is a shed which has a big 16x4 ft outside run. now my problem is is that they wont get in the coop at night because they are attracted to the outside light that is about 100 yards away and they will huddle at the very corner of the outside run. how can i have it so that they will automatically go in the coop during the night?

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Can you put a light up in the coop? That sometimes helps them find their way.

3. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    When you move chickens around, sometimes it take a little while for them to figure things out. It might take a few times of picking them up and placing them in the coop before "they get it".

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

When I move chicks outside, I lock 'em up in the coop for a week. THEN I let them out into the yard. By then they have fixed it into their little brains that inside the coop is the safest place to be.... so at night they'll probably go right back inside by themselves. It might take a day or two of you picking them up or shooing them in, yourself.... but they will "get it."

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    bbobbillybob, when I am training my young chicks to go inside at night, I place a light right inside the doorway to the coop and leave it on. On night 1 I have to help them a bit, but after that they go toward the light. You might have a challenge with that other light nearby, but I'll bet if you get a good, bright flashlight it will help.

I have also used those stick-on LED lights from Wal Mart, and they worked so well I now have them in all my coops to train new birds.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by