Moving my birds 160 miles

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mr Grandcanyon, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Mr Grandcanyon

Mr Grandcanyon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    St. Johns, AZ
    Hello, I'm very new at this...

I bought 3 grown Speckled Sussex. BEAUTIFUL birds. They are in Flagstaff.... I want them in St. Johns, AZ. This is a 160 mile 2.75 hour drive.

How can I safely, without trauma, transport them? I have a pickup with a shell that has a screened window I can open.

The last 20 miles are on a moderately rough dirt road.

Any suggestions?

Mr Grandcanyon

2. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    A dog kennel or one of the rubbermaid storage bins with chicken wire over the top I set shaving in the bottom of the rubbermaid. We went to california to visit my family and my mother in law informed me she would not care for our little teenage chicks. SO I loaded up up with the cats and dogs and the chickens were the BEST travlers lol I covered them at night but they did amazing. Our cab to is also covered and I forgot to mention we drove from Montana to California so roughly 1300 miles. And in a few weeks are making a long term temporary move to Cali with my 3 hens 3 dogs 2 cats and a turtle and plan to do the same thing again. The chicks stayed still and then when we'd stop for the dogs we stopped for the chickens and gave them some food and water and let them stretch a bit. Then put them back and they settled right in. Since your treck is alot shorter I'm sure they will do just fine! [​IMG] You should have seen the looks I got travling with chickens in the back it was hysterical [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    First off, Welcome to BYC!

If you put them in a pet carrier, they should be fine.. you just don't want them to have too much wind but they need oxygen.

Come say Hi a the Arizona Chickens thread in the Where am I, Where are You section.

[​IMG]

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I drove my two silkie cockerralls two and a half hours to get home in a cat carrier. They were just fine [​IMG] I just sold a roo to a woman who brought her hens from Idaho to Reno, Nevada!

5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    If you use a rubbermaid container make sure to put extra ventilation holes in the sides too. We used them to move our birds in March only about 40 miles. They had the top of the lids cut out and replaced with wire and the birds still were super overheated when we got to our destination. Regular cages would probably be better inside a covered truck bed.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  6. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    i took 6 baby chicks to the beach 187 miles in a rabbit cage. stayed 3days came back. they did great. we actually took them to the beach and took pictures. I have done it twice with 2 sets of chicks with no problems. I don't know how grown chickens would do.

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Mr Grandcanyon wrote: The last 20 miles are on a moderately rough dirt road.

When you get to the turn-off place a .5" thick section of foam rubber under a towel in their carrier (no hard landings...).​

8. Mr Grandcanyon

Sep 14, 2010
    St. Johns, AZ
    WOW! What good advice from so many. Thank you all.... I'll not be fearful. I think I'll use the "tupperware" approach, with a piece of foam, a towel, and a slow drive over the bumpy parts of the dirt road. Over the tupperware I'll put some chicken wire.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks again! Mr Grandcanyon

9. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Remember this is Arizona. Do the drive at night when it is cooler.

Rufus

10. Mr Grandcanyon

Sep 14, 2010
    St. Johns, AZ
    Here is the almost final plan...

I'll use the large Rubbermaid tub. Put down several old bath towels. My TRIO will ride in the tub on the back seat of the pickup truck..... keeping them "climate controlled". Chicken wire on the top. Soft music playing.....

Should I attempt to have food or water for them or will they do fine for the 2.75 hour drive?

The coop is ready and waiting!

Mr Grandcanyon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by