Moving my coop to Alabama!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tinkitten, Sep 5, 2014.

1. tinkitten

tinkitten Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2014
    North Arizona
    Hi there BYC'ers! It looks like I will be moving to the Mobile area within a month or two, and I was wondering if anyone had advice about moving my 18 adult girls and 6 baby chicks. I have 4 roo's and I think I will move at least 2 of those. I've had a few people express interest in purchasing one or two of my roo's, and ultimately, I see myself having a flock of 20 layers and 2 roo's.

I know the city of Mobile has some pretty strict guidelines for chicken owners, so I am looking for a place just outside of the limits that is pet friendly. My thought is that I would put these guys in pet carriers inside my car for the ride (I have a hatchback so it should be no problem). Any advice on this? It's only a 3.5 hour drive.

Further, if anyone knows of a pet/chicken friendly place that is for rent, that would be awesome as well. I know it's a long shot, but it never hurts, right?

I realize that I am not exactly a new member, but it almost counts, since I'll soon be an Alabama member instead of a Mississippi member :)

Have a great weekend and thanks for any advice/thoughts/observations!!!
    -Crazy Cat/Chicken Lady

2. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I'm not in Alabama, so I don't know about any places or anything. Just hoping it turns out well for you! :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You can transport them in really anything that is secure. Dog crates, laundry baskets, pet carries all work great. Just make sure they are secure and have some sort of cushion.

You may want to ask around for chickens and stuff here
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Good luck!

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Good luck with your move!

5. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

It can certainly be done like this but beware, it's going to be a stinky 3+ hour ride and they will be covered in poop when you get their...

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Good luck with the move!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck with your move! Definitely stop by your state thread and chat with your chicken neighbors about all you may need to know about your area. Mountain Peeps has left you with the link to our Where Am I Where Are You section. Scroll through there to find your state thread.

Welcome to our flock!

8. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    hello and welcome to our flock,travel safe,i hope your trip is awesome[​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You will need to locate and post on your new state thread - Alabama to find out ahead what's up. Some people moving birds recommend throwing a cover over the crates so they don't see things that would stress them. Make sure of course it doesn't cut off their air circulation - or if you use a/c that they don't get chilled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by