Moving my girls to a new coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jude_anne, Jun 20, 2010.

1. jude_anne

jude_anne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    We're new at this, and getting ready to move our chickens to their permanent coop. We're using our "sugar shack" for a chicken coop. Up until now, we had the chickens housed on our screened in porch and they free ranged around the house, staying close. The new coop is about 200 feet away, down the hill, and behind the garage. My question is do I keep them in their new coop for any length of time before allowing them to go out and forage? And if so, how long? Will this be a stressful time for them? Is there anything we can do to help them with their transition? Thanks so much for your help! Judy

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Yes I would keep them in there for several days, maybe a week, or else they will be coming back to your porch at night to roost! Good luck with your babies!

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Ooops! Forgot to ask how big the coop is...should be big enough for them to stay in all the time until you can turn them out again. Also make sure they have plenty of fresh water and food with maybe some extra treats to make them happy!

4. jude_anne

jude_anne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    The sugar shack is what the farmers use for making maple syrup so it's pretty big. They're space is probably about 14 x 12. It's like a little house with a concrete foundation. I only have five girls so they should have more than enough room. I don't mind them coming back up to the house; it's just that they'll have obstacles on the way, including the dog run and the garage where my husband works on cars. They would have to venture out in the open, which they tend not to like. I just want to make the transition as smooth as possible. I'll just keep them cooped up for a couple days, and let them out on a nice day and the kids and I can stay with them so they don't get scared. Their new coop is butt up to a newly growing corn field so hopefully when it matures, they won't get lost! Right now it's only about a foot high, so they'll be familiar with it anyway. Thanks so much for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by