1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving my girls tomorrow

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ErinG, Feb 11, 2012.

1. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    We are moving 2 hours away, and tomorrow is phase I, moving the chickens. They are going to my parent's house and because the ground is so wet we are putting them in their barn, rather than in their coop. We have everything loaded up for the morning. My question is should I let them eat and drink before the move or wait until we get there? It may be 5 or 6 hours by the time we have the area completely ready for them. We can let two of them out (tame enough to catch again) when we get there, but the other 3 we will probably keep boxed.
    Side note, of course our little banty laid her first egg in MONTHS today - how do they know??

2. ErinG

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Anyone?

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I would let them eat and drink - and I'd probably put some slices of apple in the cage/box with them so they'll have a source of moisture/energy during the trip. Just put pine shavings (or whatever you use) in the bottom of the box - cause they WILL poop! [​IMG]

4. ErinG

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks! Kind of what I was thinking too. It'd be easier to catch them off the roost, but hydration is probably more important!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by