Moving, need suggestions on transport.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jferlisi, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I am sorry if this is in the wrong place, i wasn't sure where to post this. So as the title says i am moving, ill be moving from southern cali to outside of the pheonix area of arizona. I have two small dog kennels which ill be taking my silkie with her chicks in one and my lakenvelder with her chick in the other. I will be moving with my sister and she has a large wire dog kennel which i can only put four of my girls in. Now the problem is i still have 2-5 more girls to take and they dont get along very well. How should i move them? should i build moving crates or something. Also when im there i wont have a coop for a day or two for them What should i do about that? Thanks everyone for the input. [​IMG]

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Look for some cheap dog crates or pet carriers on craigslist if you can [​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agree. Or, knock together a large box, if you have wood scraps and are so inclined. I just built a 6'x1'x1' box with hinged lid and a "window" of chicken wire. I transport chickens to and from Kentucky and Michigan a couple times a year.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I am also moving (next week) and have a boutg 25 chickens to move.

I have three large dog crates and will also have two boxes for the broody hens.

I'm thinking I'll move them at night while they're asleep.

Since you do not have a coop yet to move them in to, I would suggest putting together something simple and cheap like a pen made out of PVC pipes and chickenwire (depending upon your predator situation). If you've got a shed or garage, that'll work, too.

Good luck!

[​IMG]

5. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    heavy cardboard boxes work just fine, put some straw in for padding..it's really handy, especially if you arent great at building things, a couple of airholes and tape em for strength

6. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    Just a word of caution, I moved some of our banty chickens a few hours to our new house last weekend and used cat carriers. I had one silkie hen overheat and sadly I lost her. [​IMG] It was devastating to lose her and the weather was cool but I think she didn't have enough air flow with the sides of the carriers being solid plastic. Make sure they have water in with them or frequently stop and check on them. I would use the wire dog kennels to increase air to them too to help them stay cool. Best of luck with your move!

7. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    Quote:I would get some cheap dog carriers.. sometimes buying larger quantities you can get a deal.. start looking a prices online.. if the place your moving to have a garage you can stick them in there for the time being..

8. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Thanks everyone for the responses, i had thought of doing card board boxes but was unsure. As for sticking them in the garage dont you think it will be to hot in there during the day? I mean it is arizona.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by