moving new cockeral

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rexton Farm, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Rexton Farm

Rexton Farm New Egg

Sep 12, 2011
    I have 12 girls (mixed) and a male Arucana all living in harmony!! I was rescued a bantam orpington who has turned out to be a cockeral also. He is 10 wks old so is almost fully grown. He calls everytime he hears the arucana calling and we want to put him in with all the others, does anyone think this will be OK. Or shall I move the enclosure he is in next to the girls and arucana and let them get used to each other first? Was gonna put him in when its dark tonight but worried in the morning he will be attacked.
    HELP!!!

2. tritty74

tritty74 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I would put hime within sight of the others for a while so they get used to each other first but thats my opinion

3. TexasToucan

TexasToucan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    I would move his enclosure next to the flock so they can see each other for a couple of weeks. Once you do move him in with the other chickens, do so at night so they all wake up together in the morning. How large is the area your flock is in? Once you move the bantam in there, the alpha rooster will probably be chasing the cockerel, so he needs room to get out of the older roos way.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You will find that ALL of the older birds will resent his intrusion. As you said, put him within sight of the others for a couple weeks and then in with them at night. You MUST be there at daylight to supervize. If they go beond the normal pecking order stuff, the youngster must be resqued. At 14 weeks, he`s still a long way from being grown. Make sure there is plenty of room for him to escape..........Pop

5. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I would put him in a separate cage but within each others view so they can start being used to each other. But if your main rooster begins giving the evil stink eye then you'll have to keep them separated or give one away

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by