moving older chicks out

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joymac, Nov 12, 2011.

1. joymac

joymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    I'm brand new to the wonderful world of chickens and have another question: I have 8 chicks ranging in age from about 9-10 weeks old to 4 or 5 weeks old, the youngest are quite a bit smaller than the older ones. So I'm getting ready to move the older ones to the coop but didn't think the younger ones are feathered and large enough. My question is this: will the younger ones still be accepted by the older ones in a couple of weeks? Or should I move them all?

2. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    If you are in NC it should be pretty warm? at 5 weeks they should be 70 degrees BUT i put 10 1-2 week olds out in 45 degree night weather without a problem. They were and still are all healthy and happy 18 weeks later. If you have enough they will keep each other warm. I had tried to put 8 additional chicks out with them 2-3 weeks later and there were some pecking issues. Nothing serious but I would think yours could all go together now.

3. joymac

joymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    The temps are supposed to be in the 70's daytime down to 40/50's at night then turning chillier on Thursday. So I'm probably going to put them all outside this afternoon and then lock them in the coop tonight. They are getting so crowded in the makeshift brooder I have them in (not to mention the smell and dust and the kitten who has discovered them) so I think we'll all be happier! Thanks for your input.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I think all introductions need to be with you there to referee. If there is pecking issues you are there to be the ultimate protector if it gets out of hand. I would introduce now but during the days supervised. Out on the grass no pressure around food bowls. When you put the food or treats down put down 4 of them to keep the pressure off the food and feeding the little weakest kids. That is when they get hurt is around a competitive situation like food. Highest in the order are to be feed first and the kids get nailed for entering the arena without permission from HER! Let them correct bc the kids are fast and not trapped and they can run let me tell you. [​IMG] [​IMG] Truthfully the 5 week old kids will be OK in the day with you around but they need 2 to 3 more weeks before really putting them out in the cold completely without heat but they are 5 weeks and in 2 weeks the will finish with fully feathering in and completely be ready for temps down to the teens.

[​IMG] to the BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by