1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving on to my next "stage"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yard full o' rocks, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I just completed my first incubator hatch. We have 13 buff orp chicks from the 14 we put in the 'bator. We are soooo excited and they are sooo cute.[​IMG] Now, they are all in the brooder. Temp is maintaining about 94 degrees and they all seem happy and active. All are drinking and BOY ARE THEY EATING!!!! Its too funny. At this point is there any medication, additives, etc, etc that I need to give them? This is ALL new to me so any help at all is greatly appreciated.[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If they are active and none look weak, just feed them chick start and water. They eat way more than any person ever thought!!!!

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:Congratulations!! i hope my first hatch is as successful - day 4 here!

4. Yard full o' rocks

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:THANK YOU very much....after a good hatch I want to make sure I am taking proper care of those "babies". They remind me of my boys when they were newborns....once they are full and warm....they just fall asleep....sometimes standing up. They are too funny and soooo cute.

5. Yard full o' rocks

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:Congratulations!! i hope my first hatch is as successful - day 4 here!

Sending you good hatching vibes...[​IMG]...the BYC members here are SOOOO helpful and friendly. I am not sure exactly who started this whole thing, but the Good Lord will surely put a star in their crown. BYC has been so wonderful to me. Good luck with your hatch.[​IMG]

6. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    thanks so much - I am very nervous!!

7. debilorrah

Quote:THANK YOU very much....after a good hatch I want to make sure I am taking proper care of those "babies". They remind me of my boys when they were newborns....once they are full and warm....they just fall asleep....sometimes standing up. They are too funny and soooo cute.

If you notice any of them showing signs of weakness add electrolytes to the water!!!

8. Yard full o' rocks

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia

If you notice any of them showing signs of weakness add electrolytes to the water!!!

Should I need electrolytes, where do I get it? Use Gatorade?

9. debilorrah

Quote:If you notice any of them showing signs of weakness add electrolytes to the water!!!

Should I need electrolytes, where do I get it? Use Gatorade?

Yep! Easy as that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by