Moving out of state, transporting quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by eHuman, May 23, 2016.

1. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    I will be moving into my new home soon and need advice on transporting a dozen 4 week old coturnix that will be housed in a 22 gal bin for the trip.

My question is on water and feed. The drive is likely to take 8 hours and I am wondering (more about water) some of the ways I can ensure my birds have access to it in a moving vehicle, with minimal spillage.

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Well.. As far as I know, quail don't drink when it's dark. So as long as you don't load them before they've had a drink in the morning, I don't think it's going to be a problem. But perhaps you can take a break half way through the drive and offer them something to drink? Feed can just be scattered on the floor or put i a shallow bowl.

Gen likes this.
  3. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Maybe you could put in a container with one of those nipples or cup type waterers. If you put it in their current cage first they could get used to it.

4. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    Has anyone had success transporting their quail that could give me pointers? It will be an 8 hour drive and I want them as stress-free as possible.

Should I give them electrolytes and maybe probiotics in advance of the trip?

5. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    I have transported a pair of button quail for about 6 hours, most of that by train. They were in a wooden box with hardware cloth on one side, and carried in a dark cloth bag. The female laid an egg during the trip and continued to lay an egg a day after arriving to her new home, so I guess the experience wasn't too stressful to her :) I didn't change anything prior to the trip, just tried to 'pack' them as the last thing, to allow them to eat and drink before leaving.

Gen likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by