Moving out to the coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MendonMan, Apr 11, 2012.

1. MendonMan

MendonMan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    My chicks are approaching 5 weeks this weekend. The coop is almost ready. They live in a refrigerator box as a brooder. All are healthy and seem fine. With the chicks I purchased a few books being a new chicken owner.

From what I can tell, the chicks should move to the coop and be kept inside the coop for 3 days, then the door can be opened for them to access the outside and start the whole daily in and out thing. This grounds them to "home".

From reading on here, I understand they are chickens and will be fine and don't need pampering like lights and heat in the coop.

I'm in Western NY and although we had the screwed up March temps that many in the US saw, we are still 50s and 60s during the day and 30s and sometimes 40s at night.

Also, I've read about not using the brooder light (red heat) anymore to get them used to being in the dark during the night.

Thoughts on this move to the coop? Thanks!

Charles

2. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    At 5 weeks they'll be fine. Almost fully feathered. They will kep each other warm. We will be at mid april this weekend, temps will do nothing but get better. Id get their little feet on some real dirt and grass as soon as possible. I let mine have the full run and coop at 3 weeks old. After a week they are now starting to go in on thier own.

3. MendonMan

Jan 31, 2012
    So to recap:

No light or heatlamp in coop. No need to keep in just coop for 3 days.

Also will need to make sure they go in the coop each night. I've read that too. People having to move them inside each evening for the first week until they "got it."

Thanks!

Charles

4. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas

You may have to move them in for longer than a week. Its been almost 2 weeks and about half will go in on their own. The wife and I have to entice or physically put the other half in.

5. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    Charles ... thanks for posting this as I have 4 and 5 week Old chicks that I was going to move next week into their coop.

I am also in WNY .... South Wales ... where are you located?

6. MendonMan

Jan 31, 2012
    Rochester.

They've been in the basement with the red heatlight. I've started turning the light off at night.

Now I'm moving them to the unheated garage to acclimate them to the outside (cool but not as cold). They go outside periodically to a wire cage to get used to the outside. Funny watching them "freeze" when a dump truck squeals its brakes but they ignore the crow in the trees.

I'm hoping to have the coop installed in place over the next few days. I built it in the garage.

Then in the coop and run full time.

It's been interesting. You'd think for as long as chickens have been domesticated there'd be more uniform "rules" for raising them. Reading the forums and books it's bi-polar at times: light-no light, heat-no heat, nightlight-no nightlight, 1sq ft-2sq ft, acclimate-don't acclimate, chick grit-no chick grit.

Charles

7. TonySorrento

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    You aren't kidding! I have become more of a naturalist as I believe God designed them to live and lay.... so mine have gotten sand as grit ....worms... mealies .... I figure if momma can do it ... so can I ... I have learned to tune out the issues some have as this is much the minority .... now if I get issues, I am glad for this site, tho I will be adding to the paranoia all us new chicken owners have :D

8. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    It is also important to consider the breeds you have in your flock. Being in NY, I'm hoping you got winter-hardy breeds. If so, there shouldn't be a need to use a lamp for heat once they are fully feathered.

9. TonySorrento

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    We do not get much cold weather below 20 degrees .... I did get 3 Buttercups that I am a little worried about .... wife thought they were pretty :D .... I am betting if I have the proper ventilation my BCs will do fine .... if not, I'll eat them :D .... like I said ... naturalist ;)

10. MendonMan

Jan 31, 2012
    2 buff orpingtons and 2 barred rocks. Cold hardy, that I've read.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by