Moving out to the coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EmeraldSkye, Nov 1, 2013.

1. EmeraldSkye

EmeraldSkye Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    San Jose, California
    I have was told (and have read) that the chicks need to be closed up in the coop for a few days when you move them outside. What I don't know is this: Should I move them to the coop during the day or at night? Will they know how to roost right away if I put them on the roosting bars?

I also have been told that they can go out anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 weeks, but then a book that I'm using as a resource said that for most parts of the country they should go out at 8 weeks. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and it's in the upper 40s at night, upper 60s in the daytime. Right now my chicks are 5 weeks old. When is it safe to put them out?

Thanks for your advice.

2. Domd28

Domd28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Cabot, AR
    For what it's worth, We put ours out during the days at around 4-5 weeks old and brought them in at night. We did that for a couple weeks then just left them. It took them a little while to get used to their surroundings, but once they did they knew right where to roost and eventually lay the eggs. At first we would find an egg in the run, but now all of them lay in the boxes. They will eventually acclimate themselves to the weather and survive on their own.

3. EmeraldSkye

Oct 1, 2013
    San Jose, California
    I just took them outside for the first time today for about an hour. I asked a lady at the feed store (who raises chickens) when she thought it'd be safe to put them out at night. She said since it's pretty cold already, and I'm going against the grain having chicks in the fall/winter, that I should wait until they are 8 weeks old. I guess I'll have to do that.

4. Domd28

Domd28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Cabot, AR
    Yeah, most people do get them in the spring. Much easier for climate acclimation. You could possibly put a heat lamp in the coop and keep an eye on them (they'll let you know when they're cold). I browsed this site long before becoming a member. Plenty of good info, knowing where to look is the key. We got ours in the spring, I'd go with what the lady told you.

5. EmeraldSkye

Oct 1, 2013
    San Jose, California
    We could put the lamp in the coop, and it might be wise to do that anyway. Right now it's so convenient having them upstairs in a bathtub, with a video camera watching them. I know eventually they need to move out but for now they are nice and close and easy to keep an eye on. I'm hoping we can put a wireless outdoor video camera out near the run and coop. We are going to see what we can do and then we can look in on them even when we aren't home, like we can do now. Or from bed. [​IMG]

6. yardbird53

yardbird53 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2013
    South Carolina
    I started taking 6 of my chicks outside for visits when they were 3 weeks old and at almost 5 weeks they went out for good. I went into the room they were in and 2 of them were perched on the top of the box they were in! I put a light in the coop for night time since it got cool and I covered the side windows with plastic to keep the draft down and they were fine. Since there were 6 of them, they could snuggle together for warmth if needed and there was hay in the coop. We had lows in the low 40s when I put my 3 youngest chicks out at 3 weeks old and they were fine also. I would put in some type of light until I was good with the move. The web cam is a great idea.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    the Barred Rock, Welsummer, Brahmas and Golden Laced Wyandotte's at 4 weeks and at 8 weeks (10-31-13)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    when they were 5 days old and now at 6 weeks old~~ 2 EE and one Blue Laced Red Wyandotte (in the middle)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by