Moving outside

Featherlove23

Chirping
Apr 29, 2022
Idaho
At what age is best to move ducks from a brooder pen to the coop outside. If I remember correctly my ducks are going on 4 weeks old. They are huge. 5 times the size when I got them as babies. My only problem is that my chicks are in the same brooder pen as them. They have bonded so much to the point that they are inseparable. If the can't see the chicks they start what I call a duck screaming. It's very loud. And likewise for the chicks to the ducks. Where the ducks go the chicks follow and same for the other way around. The chicks are still to small to be put outside. They still have almost another month before they are able to be outside. But the ducks are slowly and quickly running out of room the brooder pen. I try to keep them outside on the warmer days so they aren't in a brooder pen that they have almost grown out of. But lately it's been very windy. (Cold wind). I hate keeping them in it at there size but we don't have a bigger pen. They're brooder pen is actually an old coop that's been modified. This is a slightly old picture the top insulation isn't there anymore. has to keep the heat in somehow. Anyone worried about the cat. She likes to watch them, has never touched them and the top has wire to keep cats out that's what the insulation is sitting on.
IMG_20220422_221401741.jpg

Is there any ventilation in that brooder? I'd be worried about cooking them in there. If your ducklings are fully feathered move them out to the coop. Just make sure they have protection from the elements. For the chicks health and the ducklings they need to be separated so they have room to grow and not be crowded.
:welcome

Is there any ventilation in that brooder? I'd be worried about cooking them in there. If your ducklings are fully feathered move them out to the coop. Just make sure they have protection from the elements. For the chicks health and the ducklings they need to be separated so they have room to grow and not be crowded.
:welcome
Yes, there's ventilation. All around the heat lamp is exposed except for the sides. But as of today the top is fully exposed. No they're not fully feathered. They are just getting there wing and chest feathers in. They do have a pen I keep them in when outside when the weather is nice enough. Today was 75-80°f all day. So they were outside with the chicks who are 4 1/2 weeks old all day. They even had a pool to cool off in. As long as the weather allows it they are outside in a large pen all day (I put them in the shade as to not over heat them) they love the grass. Only in the brooder at night. We are currently building a new wood fence that's 7 or 6 ft high. They will be moved outside once the fence is hopefully finished and the coop is complete in a few days. At most the fence should be done by this next weekend. Like I said in post, they are in an old chicken coop so they have full access to the nesting box.

Back
Top Bottom