Moving shipped chicks into brooder question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kburen, Nov 13, 2010.

1. kburen

kburen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Waiting on a call from the post office to go pick up my chicks.....But just thought of something. It's never been mentioned so I assume it's okay.....Is it okay to take shipped chicks and put them directly into a 95 degree brooder? I know it can cause harm to people if you warm them up too quickly......

2. chillmiller

chillmiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    ya just dip the beaks in water on each one if your brooder is large enough they will b adjust them selfs to warm up properly and do post pictures of the mail order fuzzy butts [​IMG]

3. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    Supposedly I have three chicks who are to hatch today or tomorrow then get shipped....I too am wondering about this!

4. kburen

May 19, 2008
    They did just like the above poster said! I dipped beaks, they didn't act interested, slept for a while under the light to warm up and have been running around and jumping on eachother since a few hours after i put them in and well...have decided that it's best to drink with one foot IN the water and one foot outside LOL [​IMG] They just move closer to the light or each other when the temp drops and they spread out and lay alone when it warms back up. :)

ETA: When I find batteries I'll post pics!! I stole some from my parents when I was at their place today and it turns out bad batteries got put in the new battery box...BOO!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  5. kburen

May 19, 2008
    [​IMG] All of them.....5 Frizzle EEs and 1 Blue Maran (I'm not thinking that one's doing too well...It sleeps nearly ALL the time....and it's wings don't quite look right.

[​IMG] I LOVE the coloring of this ones fuzz :)

Warning....These next two....Are my Fiance's humor...Not mine! He decided it would be funny and needed some pictures for his Facebook.....

[​IMG] I love the spot on its head!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  6. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    [​IMG] funny stuff. Congrats on your little ones!

7. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    So, did you name one "Deep Fried" and the other "Pan fried"? Just kidding. I hope not!

8. LALASD4

LALASD4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I guess people do that all the time. But I have never use heat at all and my chicks are fine and they feathered quicker.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by