Moving Silkie chicks outside *6 weeks old*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SundownWaterfowl, Oct 20, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have 7 Silkie chicks that are 6 weeks old. They will be 7 weeks old this comming Saturday. Well, right now they are in a large brooder in the garage. I was wondering when I can move them to their new coop outside. The coop is an old wooden dog coop that was converted into a 2 section pen. I will be putting 2 heat lamps in the coop, incase 1 blows.

Now, it has been around 50-60 during the day, and it is now getting down to around 28-30 at night.

Ive never had chicks this young, I hatched them in the beginning of September, so im not sure about when I should move them outside.

I was thinking about keeping them in until they get 8 weeks old, then moving them outside. I will be putting lots of straw into the coop, so they can snuggle in and stay warm. Does that sound fine?

What would you do?

2. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I would move them outside. Keep the heat lamps on at night, if they are huddled directly beneath the lamps I would add a second heat source. At 6 weeks they should be ok. Make sure that no direct draft can get on them so that if the wind blows they can get protection. I moved our 6 weekers out last spring when the temps were similiar to yours and they did just fine.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by