Moving Single Chick to Brooder?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mjm417, Feb 17, 2011.

1. mjm417

mjm417 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    Powder Springs
    So far we have 1 chick that's survived, I am not hopeful of any others from this batch. But we have day-olds ordered previously & coming March 7th - and I know that's a long time away.

When should we move the single chick to the brooder (it's ready with a stuffed bird my toddler graciously donated and a mirror)?
    And how long do I keep the other eggs in the bator?? I know my temps & humidity were low, but i'm all correct now if it makes a difference!

We'd really like to stick to just our Australorps, however, I tried looking for a companion locally but there's nobody in GA I can find with anything for the next week or even up until we'll get the other from the hatchery!? You would think there would be more chickens in Chick-fil-a's home territory!?!

Thanks again, you guys are awesome and the only reason I still have 1 surviving chick!!
    mj

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If none of the other eggs have pipped or zipped, I would take a fluffy, active chick out of the 'bator after 24 hours. Also, in addition to the stuffed binky and mirror, you might get a feather duster or a piece of a feather boa or something similar for the chick to snuggle up into.

I wait until day 25 or day 26 before I give up on eggs.

3. mjm417

mjm417 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    Powder Springs
    Quote:Thanks, I was going to go get some marbles today for the waterer, I'll look for a feather duster as well! [​IMG]

This afternoon will be day 25, and since I know I had low temps, I was going to wait until Sun unless they start to ooze/smell/explode etc!

4. Millhouse

Millhouse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    I am on day 25 as well, so I decided last night to candle one last time (my previous candling was a flop - bad light I guess) But in doing so I found TWO that were pipping! Within 3 hours we had a fluffy new chick. This morning the other that had pipped is further along as well. So, I'm not giving up quite yet!

My other eggs looked term all but a few... I wonder if they will hatch? Should I move my single little guy to the brooder?

5. Millhouse

Feb 19, 2012
    WHOOT! The second chick hatched for us - on Day 25! My egg supplier was SHOCKED! I'm so thrilled. BUT the newest chick has places with no feathers, is that normal?

6. Millhouse

Feb 19, 2012
    I'm still waiting on 27 eggs, and I'm at day 26! I can't tell from candling if theres movement because theres no room in there. I did the water test this morning and they all floated but only about a 1/2 inch above the water, so by what I've read thats good.... should I pip one of them to see if its alive? If so HOW? I got 2 chicks so far from this hatch, one on day 24 and one on day 25... suggestions? PLEASE?

7. Millhouse

Feb 19, 2012
    Ok, so I'm impatient... using sterile tweezers I pipped a Buff Orp egg... we are on day 26 today... I didn't break the membrane and it looks like the membrane is moving ever so tiny in and out... do I just leave it alone? Also, the membrane is wet, like one drop of liquid dripped down the side of the egg. It is back in the incubator and we are hoping for some guidance! HELP PLEASE!

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    As long as you think it's still alive, I'd leave it alone. But then, I've never helped a chick out of the shell - I'm a "let nature take its course" person... If you want to help it out, do a search here. There is plenty of good information on how to do so.

9. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Well I would probably help it since you are on the 26th day.

10. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Once you start to help, you kind of have to finish the job, it's a long process, can you hear any of the others pipping? What I do is take the egg to my ear and with my nail tap on the shell to see if it pips, if they pip, leave them in there. Are you sure your dates are correct? I have help chicks out so if you want to give it a try just let me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by