Moving soon need ideas on how to move my coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pidgey104, Feb 19, 2014.

1. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    We are moving soon and I want to take my coop with me . I built the middle sized one out of chicken coops for dummies.
    I built it in the back yard now Im going to have to move it through the garage and up on a flat bed trailer any idea?
    also its sitting up on cinder blocks now.

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    hmm Might have to try that because this coop is pretty heavy

4. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I would drag it away from that fence so there is room to work around it, then bring the trailer to the coop, get a few good guys to pick up one end of the coop, probably the run end which would be lightest and tip that end up on the trailer then go around the other side and pick it up and slide it on, 3 or 4 good guys should easily be able to lift a little coop like that one half at a time. Take out any feeders or anything else that will reduce the weight.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with rolling it on pipes or logs or whatever you have. We've moved sheds in this manner and it works fairly well. Corners can be a bugger, though. I'm not sure about going through the garage--do you have a door large enough on both sides?

As far as getting it on a trailer, you can either have several strong young men try to lift it, or you can put high-level jacks at each corner and crank it up that way, a few notches at a time and keep it level. We moved a large office building--I think 14x20 feet--that way, just jacked it up until it was higher than the trailer and backed the trailer under it. Course, I was anxious to the point of vomiting the whole time, but everyone came out with all their digits intact!

6. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    There no way to get a trailer in the back yard it would be a tight fit. The garage has double doors on both sides. also there are quite a bit of trees where it sits. I built it in the yard guess I never figured on moving it LOL.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    These two things don't go together...if there are double garage doors on both sides of garage can't you just drive thru?

Oh maybe it's the trees that are the problem?

Will the height of the coop, plus the height of the rollers, go thru the garage doors?

8. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011

I used a come-along to move my coop into position. You could also use 4" PVC pipe as rollers under the coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Oh now that would take all the fun out of things!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by