Moving South??? Good places??

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by NewToFarming, Sep 15, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Well, My last child has left the home and I am seriously thinking about going south! [​IMG] I have always wanted to do this but with all the kids and possibly having trouble finding a job, I thought it would be better & more responsible to wait until it was just the hubby & I and we could make it work! Not to mention the hubby has RA so the warmer weather would be so much better for him. So, I thought this would be a great place to find out some good places in the south. It would definetly need to be rural and the more rual the better! [​IMG] Any Ideas on some good areas? I grew up with mountains in the coal regions here so I would probably prefers mountains over no mountains but really anywhere that is warm & rural will be the place for me!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Check out my sig line. [​IMG]

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Nice one, Speckledhen! [​IMG]

Seriously, though, that area is lovely.

I'd also recommend the Western Piedmont area of Virginia - lots of nice farmland, close to the mountains.

4. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Wow Speckledhen!!! It is lovely!!! I would so love to check it out but I wouldn't be able to buy right away. Darn it!!! Good price too! Dang I wish I could do it and it would be in the perfect area!

Sfw2....I will have to check that area out as well. I appreciate your suggestions!

I would have to rent for the time being.

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

We moved from Western NY to SW Virginia and love it. Rural yet you can be in a 'city' within 30-40 minutes.
    Low cost of living. Beautiful views. Mountains. Great hunting and fishing. Moderate temps. A little snow but not enough to break your back shoveling it.

www.camelot1999.webs.com for some shots near our place.

Happy Home Hunting!

6. speckledhen

There are lots of nice places in the TN/GA/NC area. I'm 12 miles from the TN line and 8/10 of a mile from the NC line so I shop in all three states. We're about an hour from Cleveland, TN and there is everything you could ever need there. Blue Ridge is larger than Mineral Bluff and is about 10 miles.

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Texas is warm, but our version of a mountain... well you'd call it a molehill. [​IMG]

But, Arkansas weather is very similar to North Texas... more snow and rain, so more humidity... but it's still a gorgeous state with nice people in it. And they most definitely have mountains. The Ozarks prolly aren't near what you're used to size wise, but they are way bigger than down here and they're covered in woods as the Apps are. Plenty of small towns/rural areas that are still within driving of larger cities, including the capital. Mems lived on the highest point in N Little Rock... pretty nice view, but I still have no idea how they managed that hill in winter.

One thing I don't like about Ark in comparison to Texas is that they even tax groceries... that is one major bonus to living in Texas... oh and no state income tax here either, that's a REALLY nice one. I donno whether Ark has a state income tax or not, I would imagine so as they tax everything else, but maybe that results in lower property taxes or something so it balances out? Have to ask an Arkansas to know for sure.

Good luck in your hunt!!

8. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Quote:The place you have for sale sounds like heaven!

9. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Woo Pig Soooie....and here I am in Arkansas.

Born here, raised in Arizona, moved back in late teens, lived in Texas for 8 years and back to Arkansas. Remarried 6 years ago and now live on a mountain out in the boonies. (ok, not a huge mountain but it is still my mountain). We are a mile from the Arkansas River.

All that said....Arkansas is a beautiful, friendly place to live. We have all four seasons (ok, sometimes we skip spring) but our winters are not bad. Sometimes snow and ice but not ever for long. We do have humidity. Can't lie about that. But I love the green. Everything is green here.

One thing about Arkansas, and you should check on this, is that we seem to be more reasonibly prices for homes and land. People have always moved here from places like Texas, California, and the east coast because they could get more house and land here for the money.

I love it here. Having lived a couple other places I know that this is where I want to be. No really big cities....and I like that there are not. But plenty of shopping in the larger ones that we do have....and nothing is too far away.

That is my pitch for Arkansas......

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  10. speckledhen

Quote:The place you have for sale sounds like heaven!

From time to time, I think it is. It is, however, hard work and DH and I have physical issues now that make it harder every year. For someone who doesn't have degenerative disc disease or can hire help for some of the really heavy stuff, it would be a great place. Hey, comes with great chickens coops! What else could you want, eh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by