moving the chicken coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pbnjellyfish, Sep 4, 2008.

1. pbnjellyfish

pbnjellyfish Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2008
    Cedar Hills, Utah
    My chicken coop is in my back yard and I want to move it to another location in the back yard for winter. Will this freak out the chickens?

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Most likely..... they don't like change. Also they seem to get disoriented easily.

Can you move it slowly - like a couple feet every day until you get it where you want?

3. pbnjellyfish

pbnjellyfish Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2008
    Cedar Hills, Utah
    That would probably work. Right now the coop is in the garden area and the chickens have destroyed my garden. I want to move the coop to the other end of the yard that is just grass and then fence them off so they can't get to the garden. Or do you think it would be better to leave the coop where it is, fence off the grassy area and physically put them in the grassy area every morning when I let them out of the coop?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That sounds like a big hassle. Move it slowly if you can. Otherwise, you're gonna have a few days of having to carry/herd them to the new location until they get the idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by