moving the chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dorenek, Jul 4, 2008.

1. dorenek

dorenek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2008
    Eastern Oregon
    i need to be able to move my 2wk old chicks outside. i can put them in a large kennel (there are 5 of them) in the hen house. i currently have 3 other chickens (young, but much older and growing). unfortunately, there is no electricity to the hen house. daytime temps where i live consistently average about 85-90 degrees. Nighttime temps are averaging in the low 50s. the chicks would be out of any draft and should be more than fine during the day, but i'm concerned about their nighttime temperature. anyone gotten stuck in this position before? i'd sure value some advice right about now. thanks a bunch.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Put them in the corner of the hen house with the brooder light.

I had to buy a very long extention cord.

3. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    yea i would hate to say it but i would buy a long extension like mentioned, anyways if you wouldn't mind i would still keep the light on them, ou might asking more but i heard until 20-30 days they need to be in temp 90-105 degree weather,sorry! i couldn' help more!

4. dorenek

dorenek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2008
    Eastern Oregon
    i got them all set up in the hen house and put a good layer of bedding down for them. i covered the sides of the kennel (on the outside) with black plastic to try to keep most of the drafts out. i put in a cardboard box and.... a long extension cord from the pump house. they survived their first night outside. thanks for the honest answers.

5. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    sorry we took so lkkong to reply have been sooo busy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by