Moving the coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hispoptart, Nov 6, 2011.

1. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    We would like to move our chicken coop closer to the house, 1 so that they are a bit warmer and 2 so that I have access to power in order to keep the waterer from freezing. Will moving the coop upset the chickens? They have not slowed in laying and I don't want to disturb that.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi hispoptart

there are several variables there. What will be familiar in the new location....same coop, same feed, same people caring for them?

I have a small set-up that is kind of like a tractor. I actually hauled my lot to a place about 12 miles away. Set up at that location.....and they haven't missed a beat. (well, two had laid before I packed them off, and two more laid at the new location, and then two laid today already.....just like normal) I have moved them around the yard whenever I wanted fresh grass -- so they are kind of 1/3 gypsy.

Here's what I think, their coop and environs (I have attached runs) were the same, the feed was the same, I was there yesterday, this morning and tonight---- and so there isn't much shocking change in their life. If they are used to you, their routine, the coop, the feed etc. then they shouldn't have the trauma of being moved to completely new and unfamiliar surroundings.

Post back after the move, and see if they have taken it all in stride and there isn't a big break in their laying.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    If you want to move the coop then move it when the birds are in it. Once you move it (unless you are moving it a significant distance) the birds should not really notice a difference.

I had a tractor that I used to house my main flock in. I would move it 10 feet here or there for fresh forage, but then one day I decided to move it about 75 feet (bug infestation...I wanted a clean run area). I moved it with the birds in it, and they did not seem overly disturbed by the move. They looked slightly confused for the first few minutes upon leaving the coop, but adapted quickly. Once night time rolled around they put themselves to bed without a hitch. I honestly think they didn't even notice the change, or if they did they decided it was no big thing. There was no change in egg laying.

I hope the same is true for your flock. Good luck.

4. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Thanks , I will be moving the coop about 30' if that. From one corner of the yard to the other. So I will hope for the best. I;m really only worried about my crazy hen chirps, who gets into a panic mode sometimes. But I guess when she gets that way she can't find her way back to the coop as it is so it should be no different to her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by