moving the flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicchick, Jan 10, 2009.

1. chicchick

chicchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    I am new to chickens and before I take the plunge I need to know if this will work out... My situation is this: the family up and moves to a camp for 3 months every summer (job necessity). If I have a coop in both places, will it be OK for the ladies to load them up in a giant dog crate around the end of June and relocate them to their summer digs? Then back again at the end of August. Thoughts on this? Thanks!

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG]

How many chickens are you planning on moving with you ??

3. chicchick

Jan 6, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    We thought we would start with a modest flock of 6.
    Thanks for the Welcome!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think they could handle it. Especially if you build a run on each coop. That way, they'll be safely confined and have time to adjust to the new coop, while still having space to exercise and fresh air. If you want to free range, I wouldn't do it right after a move. Let them get used to the new place, first.

I'd also keep as much the same as you can the first week. Try to have the same daily routine, even if you are really busy when you first get there. If you see them first thing in the morning and tuck them in at night, that will make them feel better about being in a strange place. You may want to take some of the food and water they're used to for the first couple of days and gradually switch them over, since those supplies are probably going to change.

The first move will seem the strangest to them. After that, they should recognize the places and settle in faster.

5. chicchick

Jan 6, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    That all sounds great! It'll be like moving the goldfish and the dog and cat out, right? I'll take a few gallons of water (I know the pH is different) same food, same bedding, etc. Good, I am so psyched! I have been wanting chickens for years!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by