Moving the girls out...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nikki1, Mar 31, 2012.

1. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    Yea! It's spring break week! (As a teacher I'm just as excited as the kids!) My goal this week is to get the henhouse up outdoors so we can move the chicks out of our bathroom. The base is done, the framing is done, all is painted, we just need to move it out and assemble it. It's like a chicken modular home!

Anyway, they'll still need their heat lamp, but I need to know how to put things together so the girls will stay warm enough, but so that I don't burn it to the ground. The coop won't have its own electricity, so I'll be using our heavy-duty outdoor extension cord. Any ideas?

--Nikki

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG] They are going in the coop - you get your bathroom back!
    The heavy duty extension cords are usually pretty dependable. Put the light up fairly high on a secure hook. If it doesn't already have one of those bulb guards around the front, maybe you can fashion one out of wire. Don't be surprised if your chicks are a little confused at first. they will get the idea of roosting soon.

3. cooped up

cooped up Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Portland, Or
    We just completed that mission also. Our chicks are 7 wks old and feathered out. We've had them in the laundry room without heat hte past two nights. The pacific northwest sure has been cool,but I think they will be alright.I'll go out and put them to roost for a couple of nights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by