Moving the girls outside

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Baileysmom0423, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Baileysmom0423

Baileysmom0423 New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    I got my girls back in February. We have 3 that are 10 weeks old and 2 that are 11 weeks old. The temps are getting down to the high 30's, low 40's at night. Do you think that they will be OK moving outside now? They are getting too big for their brooder, but they have feathers now and their combs are starting to really come in. If I do put them out, do you think I need to put the brooder lamp out? I have seem some bad fires on the internet from the lamps so I am a little nervous about that but otherwise, I am so ready to get them outside. Thanks!

2. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    They should be ok! Especially since they can use each other for warmth. If you can close up the coop, with warm bodies in there it should raise the temp a few degrees. Always keep ventilation, but main doors and such can close. You could also temporarily insulate-if there are studs on the wall of the coop and you can put up some thick plastic vinyl (like you lay on the ground to smother weeds beneath rocks) and stuff crumpled newspapers into the gap. I suppose you could also do it using hardware cloth instead of olastic sheeting as long as you acknowledge that the hens will pick at the newspaper through the holes :)

3. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop

11 and 10 weeks is plenty old enough for less than 30 degrees they will fair

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You could have put them out a month ago, honestly. Once they have their feathers, they can handle anything an adult can. And 30* isn't cold for a fully feathered chicken at all.

5. goomamma

goomamma New Egg

Apr 24, 2016
    Please forgive me if I am going against forum etiquette here. (wasn't sure if I needed to start a new thread) I saw this thread and I have a question along the same lines. I am on night three of the girls staying outside. They hate it. During the day they will sit in their coop and survey their kingdom but at night! No way. I checked other threads. It has nesting boxes, ventilation, perches. I put water and food in at night. The girls tell me they are ready to be put up just not in the coop. Thanks in advance for any advice.

6. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina

I'm assuming you have them sort of locked in the coop all day to get them used to it being home. Are they squawking at night and causing a ruckus? What is telling you that they dont like nights but are ok with the day time?

7. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    3rd night out? How old are they? Do you have light at night? They should be sleeping when it's dark so no food & water necessary.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you've had them under a heat lamp 24/7, the sudden change to a night/day cycle is what is upsetting them. Not the coop.

9. goomamma

goomamma New Egg

Apr 24, 2016
    Wow. Thanks everyone. I hv not locked them in during the day. For how long an hour?
    They won't go into the coop. I hv to catch each one. They are five weeks old. And the lows here are in the mid 60s.

10. MeepMeeps

MeepMeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    I believe I've read to lock them in the coop for a whole day (24hrs). I think that is what I did and they were unhappy at first and got used to it- they need to learn its their home. I free range and they always tuck themselves in before dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by