Moving the incubators...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ascott1978, Apr 22, 2008.

1. ascott1978

ascott1978 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    I love hatching and selling chicks. I currently have one incubator (Little Giant 9200) that I keep inside. My wife lets me do just about anything I want, so when I started incubating eggs there was no problem. But now that I'm doing it more often, I'm getting the vibe that see prefers I move them out to the workshop.

The workshop isn't insulated or climate controlled. Any ideas on how to move the incubator out to the workshop without having to heat and cool the entire shop (20x30). Summers here in Texas get up in the 100's and winters down to the 30's generally.

Or is the best idea to save up for a cabinet style incubator that can handle the temperature variations?

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I think it would be really hard to regulate the temps when it gets that cold. If you were having hatching withdrawls, maybe try enclosing it in something else, a bigger cooler maybe? Another option is trying to build an incubator in an old refrigerator. I have never done it, but others here have.

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I agree with above post-even in my kitchen which is kinda cool and has the fridge opening and closing, I had a horrible time with my temps. Now that I moved to a smallish room that I can keep at a stable temp., I am having no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by