Moving the 'Little Girls' out with the 'Big Girls'

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MKKimmen, Jul 21, 2010.

1. MKKimmen

MKKimmen Out Of The Brooder

We have 7 adult hens and 4 chicks that are 7 weeks old. We tried to put the chicks out in the coop with the older girls and they started pecking the chicks, we got nervous and took the chicks back out. That was 2 weeks ago when they were 5 weeks old. Now they are 7 weeks old. Should we try it again? We really need to get the chicks moved out in to the coop, they are out growing there brooder! At this age are they old enough and big enough to defend them selves?

Thanks!

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I think you will need to give the lil ones a pen within a pen for a few weeks to protect them until the old gals learn to ignore them.

3. mama2many

mama2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    I had the exact same thing happen to my babies. I ended up putting the new babies into the grow out coop at night but they range with the rest of the ladies during the day. They travel together and have a large enough space to stear clear of the big girls. Having said that I have 2 coops in the run so it is easy to keep them seperated at night, it seemed the most damage was done to the babies during the wee hours of the morning when they could see but not get out. The big girls still insist on laying their eggs in the grow out coop.... Eventually the babies will have to move in with the big girls to make room for the keets that are in the brooder. I wish you the best of luck, maybe try a dog kennel set up in the coop so they can see each other but not get to one another until it is time to go out to play.....I wish you luck, its rough to see the babies get picked on. They do have to find their niche-one of my babies is a roo, he will have to battle it out with 3 others...keep us posted, I hope the babies are well.

4. MKKimmen

MKKimmen Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for the feed back! [​IMG]

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    My chicks are 11 weeks old now and there's no way I would put them with the big girls yet. Your chicks need to be almost as big as your grown hens before the merge. Even then, there will be pecking as the big girls make sure that the new kids know and respect their dominance in the flock. I have 4 new girls that were just merged with my two black copper marans hens and those meanies are still being ugly to the newcomers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by