Moving the Nest Box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RaZ, Oct 27, 2011.

1. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    I have 2 BSLs that are laying every day in my small coop. The nest box is a carboard box turned sideways, about 18 inches above floor level.

I just finished partitioning the garage for a better, bigger, warmer coop for winter.

I also have 2 BOs that are nearly ready to lay and have been nosing around the nest box.

My question is, will I disrupt the laying of the BSLs by moving them into the big coop? Will they figure out the new nest boxes or keep trying for the box that they started with? They have been over-nighting in the new coop but go back to the little one to lay.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Anything "new" rattles chickens, but they get over it. As to where they lay, they'll choose. You could provide 3 boxes, but all them seem to a) mostly use one and b) who knows why they choose The Special Must Use Box over the others.

3. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    That helps somewhat. That cardboard box has been chosen for whatever reason from the get-go, even though that coop is really too small for the hens that I have.
    On the other hand, these girls don't seem to get rattled over changes. I rearrange their run every other week or so and they seem to like to explore the new open area.

I know that light is a factor in laying and the old coop is quite dark. The new coop is brighter, even with the shorter days. But there are areas of shadow that I can put nest boxes in and let them decide where to lay.

Maybe I'm ovethinking this whole process...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by