moving them to the hatcher. when? NEED HELP GUYS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KattyKillFish, Apr 1, 2009.

1. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    it says stop turning 3 days before hatch. does this mean i should put them in the hatcher tonight and leave them on the side they would have been turned too or should i turn them tonight and put them in the hatcher tomorrow. i have the hatcher on, and it's been on for about 6 hours. my coturnix will be hatching on the 4th, and im still trying to get the temp/humidity stable on the hatcher.

they are currently in an old (ancient?) model brower that i rigged a fan into, and i am using a brand spankin' new still-air hova bator as a hatcher. i just got it in today and i am already seeing that it's easier to stableize than even the old brower. that's not my point though, my point is when should i move them and how should i go about the moving/turning? i've done countless hatches but this time i want to use a hatcher because i have several types of eggs in there and some are hatching at different times.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    *bump*

serioulsy, i need to know. i don't want to screw it up.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    It is not that exact. It doesn`t matter which side they end up on. I usually move mine at the beginning of day18 when I would usually be turning them for the first time that day. But that`s just my routine. I would make sure the temp is ok on the hatcher first, but anytime today should be ok to move them

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I always stop my turning late evening of day 18, make sure the hatcher is stable at the right temps and humidity and just lay them in on their side. I don't use a carton for them to hatch.

5. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    thanks for the input guys. still keeping an eye on the hatcher, i have ten million thermometers in there. [​IMG]
    it seems to be staying stable at 100.2 - 100.9 according to 3 of the thermometers. anything else i should know? advice? pate experience?

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Patience!!! [​IMG]

7. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    lol! i got patience down to an art... a really lazy art. i have no sense of time and it -literally- feels like i just got the e g g s a few days ago. time just blurs on by with me doing my normal day things. kinda scares me a bit but hey! my eggs are hatching in 3 days! it'll feel like 1 to me. no sense of time. i found myself looking at the calendar and saying "WHAT? Aprl 1 already? i have jury duty! you've gotta be kidding!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by