Moving time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chixr4kidz, Sep 4, 2007.

1. chixr4kidz

chixr4kidz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2007
    How should I integrate 4 3mo old buff orps into a coop w/ 4 2yo barred rock hens? They free range together OK, but now w/ cold weather coming, they need to room together in the warm coop. ANy suggestions?

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Spending time together will help alot when you need to group everyone together. Pecking order will persue, however most will know who is boss and who is friendly. You need to remember that the home flock considers them intruders, drinking their water, eating their food, sleeping in their spot on the roost. Transition can be smooth if you realize how your hens feel.

bigzio

3. chixr4kidz

chixr4kidz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2007
    Thank you! It should be interesting!

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Since they free range together, I would just leave them together. The newbies should follow the older hens to roost. If not at first, then eventually. This approach has worked well for me. Once they are in the coop I just lock the door and leave them. But I also go out and check them before I go to bed to be sure noone is bloody. It will be rough, going to roost, the first few days as pecking order plays it's part, but they'll settle in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by