Moving to a new home

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cmoore333, Feb 22, 2013.

1. cmoore333

cmoore333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    I did look this up and found several post about this all ready, I got four new chickens last week (my plan was to keep them seperate from my flock&, but after 7days three of my newbies got out and where hanging out with my flock I had) they even all squeezed in the main coop that night... All seem to be getting along wonderfully... So I had two that have been laying,(then one was molting) and two not quit old enough(but soon, as ive found a few soft shelled eggs and two fairy eggs)
    So the new four, where all layers (well according to the guy I bought them from) none are laying yet, I've heard it could be up to four weeks for them to start, if they start laying:(sad face.. What is every bodies experience in adding new birds to thier flock, concerning when they start to lay. I had added new birds to my flock before and the new ones before, laid eggs right away.. So this strike is something new to me..:(

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    How old are the new chickens? Production birds can begin laying as soon as 16 weeks. My experience though with ordinary backyard birds is that it's 20-24 weeks. It sucks waiting we all know.

3. cmoore333

Jan 28, 2013
    The previous owner Said they where 40weeks:) so they are more then old enough...

4. cmoore333

Jan 28, 2013
    Two have started to lay!!!!, yaaaaaaa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by